DOUBLEWIDE II Tube Compressor
The DOUBLEWIDE II is a single-channel compressor that installs into two slots of a standard 500 series rack yet it requires only 130-milliamps of current—just like the original Retro DOUBLEWIDE compressor. Also retained from the original are the gray painted front panel, high-quality US-made Simpson gain- reduction meter, and hand wiring throughout (no troublesome ribbon cables). DOUBLEWIDE II’s excellent build-quality is apparent starting with the American-made PC board and extends to the durable and attractive stainless steel case and, don’t forget, we only use Cinemag’s highest-quality input and output transformers for authentic tone and weight plus the complete freedom from external interference and noise. During initial user testing and comparison, the DOUBLEWIDE II immediately exceeded all expectations with increased flexibility and control that many original DOUBLEWIDE users have demanded. With both faster attack and release (recovery) times now possible, the DOUBLEWIDE II excels at energizing vocal tracks as well as controlling bass, guitars and drum tracks in an elegant and transparent way or go extreme and radical—or dial in anywhere in between!
- Front panel meter zero contr
- Stereo link switch and indicator
- Wider range of Attack and Release Times
- Aggressive capability similar to the Retro Instruments 176 Limiting Amplifier
- Improved signal-to-noise ratio, better frequency response and tube character
- Uses premium-quality Cinemag input and output transformers
- Uses readily available 12AT7 and 12AU7 tubes
- Durable stainless steel chassis, hand-wired
- Gold-plated edge connector
- Power consumption: 130 milliamps
- Price: $1,400 MSRP (Same as Original DOUBLEWIDE)
Vintage King - Retro Instruments Doublewide II Compressor DEMOAuguast 6th 2019
- Vintage King See more...
Late last year, Retro Instruments announced a new successor to the compressor, the DOUBLEWIDE II.
This new version features faster attack and release time, stereo linking capabilities and a greatly improved signal to noise ratio. The DOUBLEWIDE 2 still features the signature Single and Double timing modes that made the original such a favorite on drums, bass and well… Just about everything.